Style Question | Interview Attire


What constitutes appropriate clothes for an interview? Should I follow the conservative view and wear a suit, or try for something more relaxed and fresh with a V-neck jumper and tie underneath? Ive heard the rule that its better to be overdressed than under, but Im still in my twenties and think a suit would seem a bit...old and out of touch. Either that or Im still too immature to understand...

Dedicated District Cut readers will know that I am young myself, as in an undergraduate student young, though I like to think that I speak far beyond my years. This being the case, do not blame age on your lack of knowledge for appropriate interview attire. And at all cost, please retain what I am about to tell you, as it can be detrimental to your future success. Whoever told you that it is best to overdress in such circumstances gets a big high-five from me(see, I do show my age sometimes). It is always better to be safe than sorry in these situations. When it comes to an interview, appearance is everything; in fact, most employers admit to deciding whether your a shoe-in within the first 5-seconds of the interview, in which you've only got your appearance to use as your selling points. Keep in mind that you are dressing for your future employer, not yourself. By all means express yourself, but do so with the utmost respect...and in the world of work, respect means a suit. Look as if you actually took the effort make a good impression. So suit up as if your life depended on it, or at least your job. Which suit is a matter of preference. I would suggest navy blue, its a neutral color that is both professional and a bit young; a gray number would work as well. Stay away from black suits however - they are only appropriate if your the top man in charge, or want to send the signal to your interviewer that your eying for their position and corner office.
Banana Republic's latest line is great quality with friendly-pricing, starting around $150. Lastly, wearing a tie is always a good idea; otherwise make sure everything looks clean and like you took the effort. After all, effort won President Obama a Nobel Peace Prize.

Send your own Style Question to editor@districtcut.com.

4 comments:

John Hart said...

I wouldn't dare to not dress up for a job interview - regardless of whether it was McDonalds or a Fortune 500 company.

Rainier said...

What about for a more relaxed job?

Anonymous said...

First impressions are the most important.

District Cut said...

You read the post! Suit it up.

Post a Comment