Style | Stacy London Q&A

Joining in the celebration of Urban Chic's new blog, Stacy London, host of TLC’s What Not to Wear and the Today Show fashion correspondent joined tons of DC fashion mavens and Tracy, Urban Chic's new blogger, at Urban Chic's flagship Georgetown location. During the Living Chic Launch Party, everyone nibbled on feminine cocktail food like chocolate-covered strawberries, logo-encrusted cookies, M&M’s, sprinkle-covered cupcake lollipops, and champagne - and Im man enough to say I nibbled as well - and London mingled with other guest and gave her best fashion advice with her the typical attitude that we love her for. While I got a chance to meet and speak with her, I was unable to acquire an interview from the fashionista herself. Not to worry, Sarah Zlotnick of Washingtonian.com got a chance to interview Ms. London. While most of the questions are female oriented, its still a good read. Here are some highlights:

We hear that high-waisted pants are supposed to be a big trend for fall. What’s a good way to dress around it?
“Keep what you’re doing on top relatively close to the body, even if it’s a placket or a ruffle. I love the idea of a little white blouse and a tweed jacket going into fall, but it should really hit high. Something that’s shorter, almost like a shrunken jacket, but still has buttons like a blazer.”

Obama fever is sweeping DC. Any thoughts on the First Lady’s fashion sense?
“I want her to call me. She’s one of my idols—I adore her—but I think she’s being led astray a little bit in fashion. The belts are too high, and the necklaces with every dress are ruining the neckline of the dress and her neck. Sometimes she gets dowdy, and a lot of that has to do with tailoring. Michelle has a very athletic body, and she’s super tall, so it’s not easy to fit her in off-the-rack clothing. She needs a personal tailor who knows her body."

Washington is notorious for fully packed schedules which allow little time for outfit changes. What’s a versatile item that should be in everyone’s closet?
“People think you can’t be taken seriously if you have style, so there’s a tendency to go androgynous. But I think women can look incredibly fashionable in a suit if they’re getting a great cut, using modern accessories, and changing up the underpinnings. It’s the first thing you should invest in because suits connote authority. The very idea of being able to wear one well really does say ‘Take me seriously.’ Working in a law firm, it’s a difficult line to walk between stylish and conservative-corporate, but it comes down to color choices and fit. Clothes need to be tailored really well in order to have that more expensive look to them.”

Other suggestions for upping the sophistication factor?
“Look for details, even on simple pieces, that add a different visual element. This (motions to her Doo.Ri sheath) could just be a khaki sundress, but you turn it around, see the pleating, and it becomes something that’s a little more interesting.”

What’s to be avoided as a young professional?
“You’ve got to stay away from the juniors department. That’s number one. I find women do that because juniors clothing is more inexpensive yet still trendy, and they can’t find the same looks elsewhere at that price point. Girls, you gotta look harder.”

What has working in the fashion industry taught you about personal style?
“I tweet! [@stacylondonsays]. I find inexpensive fashion—nobody wants to spend a fortune on their clothing. I love looking at what Nicolas Ghesquière did for Balenciaga, but it has nothing to do with me. I’m not going to spend $9,000 on a dress. So I make a real distinction between the fashion industry and style. The fashion industry is based on and builds insecurity in women, makes us chase trends to feel like we’re ‘in,’ and it’s built for body types that are genetic anomalies. And I get that. It’s a great industry, I love the fantasy, I love the aspiration, but style starts with you. Style is about what makes you happy, about what makes you look in the mirror and think, ‘I rocked this outfit today.’ I want women to look at themselves and be happy. And there’s no frame of reference for that. You are your only frame of reference.”

Stacy, you’re absolutely fabulous. Any last pearls of wisdom you’d care to impart?
“I’ve got be honest, Urban Outfitters is my secret weapon. They’re doing all of those small collections with young, really up-and-coming edgy designers, and they’re putting a lot more thought into what they’re making. And Ann Taylor. Everyone should listen to this one. They’ve brought in a whole new design team, and starting in August, everything is going to be so chic for fall—animal prints and tweed skirts. Really! They’re not paying me.”

Read the rest at Washingtonian.

Image Source: Samantha On Style

0 comments:

Post a Comment